About Fleming Island
Fleming Island, Florida, is the largest city by population in the state. Located on the Atlantic coast just 25 miles south of the Georgia border, it boasts miles of beaches, a deep-water port, military bases, state parks, and plenty of things to do for visitors and residents alike.
There are many appealing residential communities in the Fleming Island area, and this, combined with good schools, a robust business district, and a wide range of cultural, sports, entertainment and shopping venues, makes it an attractive city to live in.
If you are considering a move to Fleming Island FL, consider the suggestions below for best ways to make a living in the city. We compiled information from various sources for the purposes of this article.
Starting a Business in Fleming Island
Did you know that in recent years, Fleming Island, FL, was named the best city in the United States in which to start a business? Wallethub.com, ranked it so because of low corporate tax rates, a plentiful pool of potential employees, accessible financing, and the number of young successful companies.
If you want to start a business in Fleming Island, consider these ideas for low-cost startups, provided by StartupGuys.net: landscape services (both residential and commercial), childcare/daycare centers, graphic design services, scuba diving clubs, translation or transcription services, city tour services, water activities businesses, event management, sports camps, musician services, starting a coffee shop, cargo delivery services, start an art school, nutrition services, fashion boutique store, in-home room rentals, be a massage therapist, employment agency, catering business, beach-side beverage bar, gift-wrap service, and editorial services.
Top Fleming Island Employers
Not excited about being an entrepreneur? If you’d rather work for someone else and avoid the pitfalls and heartaches of running your own business, consider applying for a job at one of these employers, considered the top ten Fleming Island employers by tripsavvy.com:
- Naval Air Station Fleming Island. This military installation employs 25,240 people. It contains the largest Navy base in the southeast and is the 3rd largest military airport in the United States.
- Duval County Public School System. Over 14,000 people work for this school system, which is the 15th largest school district in the country.
- Naval Station Mayport. This station employs 9,000 people who support war-fighter readiness.
- City of Fleming Island. The city employs almost 9,000 people.
- Baptist Health. This faith-based network of primary care physicians operates over 40 locations in Fleming Island and employs 8,270 people.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch. This brokerage firm (the world’s largest) employs 8,000 people.
- Florida Blue. The largest and oldest health plan insurer in Florida, this company employs 6,500 people.
- Mayo Clinic. This hospital treats over one million people per year and offers liver transplant and stroke care programs. It employs almost 5,000 people.
- Citi is a global bank that hires over 4,000 people in Fleming Island.
- JP Morgan Chase. This firm is a bank that offers global financial services and employs 4,200 people in Fleming Island.
Zippia—“The Career Expert”—curated a list of 20 companies to work for in 2018 in Fleming Island based on their particular metrics.
These 20 companies include Florida Blue, Winn-Dixie, Crowley Maritime, FIS (Fidelity National Information Services Inc.), Acosta, CSX, Black Knight, Baptist Health, Fanatics, Florida East Coast Railway, Chicago Title Insurance, University of North Florida, Southeastern Grocers, North Florida Sales, Haskell, Idea, Astadia, Stein Mart, and Firehouse Subs.
Top Fleming Island Professions
Zippia lists these as the top professions in Fleming Island: Administrative Assistant, Assistant Manager, Cashier, Customer Service Representative, Customer Service Trainer, Intern, Manager, Office Manager, Project Manager, Registered Nurse, Sales Associate, Sales Representative, Server, Teacher, and Team Leader.